Monday, September 3, 2012

Moonflowers and.........

Winter decided that she needed to go out at 5:15 AM this morning.  It's now so dark at this time that I almost needed a flashlight.  On the plus side, I was up early enough to get some reasonably good shots of one of the moonflowers that was in perfect position for photographing.  Often they are in such odd, high positions that I would need a ladder to get a good view.

There is something unearthly about the way they glow in the dark gray pre-dawn light.  The scent is amazing.....sort of a cross between gardenias and something else.  The sun didn't come out until about thirty minutes ago, so this bloom lasted quite far into the day.  The moonflowers wilt as the morning glories bloom.




The vegetable plants are starting to be prolific.  The nice thing is that with so many we pick them while they are still young, tender, and tasty.


And a big shout out to Gary for turning me on to beer bread.  I made this as a slow rise bread with a cup or so of beer added.  I am not a beer drinker but it makes a wonderful, tasty bread.  We made a couple of pizza and the big loaf below.  I used Newcastle Brown Ale yeasty and nutty, it makes great sandwiches and is terrific as toast with with cheese on it.

This afternoon I am giving Gary's original recipe a try.





More glaze work today and some hand building  and, of course messing around in the yard.

Enjoy your Labor Day (Boy! That came fast!).  As always thanks for stopping by............*s*

13 comments:

  1. Oh those moonflowers are lovely, I tried to grow them in the mountains and never could get them to blossom, poor volcanic soil I think, one of these days I may try, food looks delicious, soon it will be cooler and I'll try the recipes in the bread cookbook you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda...for me the trick to growing both moonflowers and morning glories is to start them early in cell packs and not disturb the roots until you put them outside. This year I have them in potting soil in big pots. Next year I am designing in-ground areas of heavily enriched soil with cut worm barriers.
    I've been baking on the grill....way too hot, until recently, to use even the counter-top oven!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great. The bread yum, not on my WW diet, but maybe I can sneak a loaf. I love baking bread...and the pizza, oh so good. Morning glories are so pretty, the white moonflower spectacular, bet it lights up the night. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corrine...Thanks for stoping by. Hope you figure out how to add a small amount of bread to your diet. Perhaps you could bake with a friend and make a smaller loaf for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had moon flowers last night and see about 5 there for tonight- I baked your bread yesterday and it was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am going to have give the beer bread a go, it's looks and sounds so yummy.
    ... those moon flowers are beautiful. we have morning glories here that come up every year, but i they are on the side of the studio that i rarely walk by until evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh- I don't like beer; maybe I ought to give it a try though! And, beautiful flowers---

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Suzi,

    Gorgeous moonflowers you show us here. We used to have lots of them but we lost them... Used the seeds over and over but it is a lot of work.
    Your beer bread looks super, so glad that it turned out the way it did. That made for a real happy Labor Day for you and yours.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meredith....Five! Mine haven't been that prolific yet. I'm glad you enjoyed the bred.

    Hi Michele...It's a good bread recipe! Morning glories that come up every year....nice!

    Amy....I don't drink beer either, but the bread doesn't taste like beer....just flavorful.

    Hi Mariette....I think I'll go on buying seed every year. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the shout--I love good beers indeed, and OH MY they make a lovely dough don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The moon flowers are beautiful, you do seem to have quite the green thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gary...My pleasure, thanks for all the yum!

    Hi Lori....Moon flowers are gorgeous. Have you looked at Meredith's blog today? The appearance of my green thumb is due, in part, to judicious cropping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Suzi,

    Answering your questions: about the waffle in my header is made by me and you can read more in this post: http://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/08/1862-christofle-sugar-sifter-filet.html
    As for the question of what the stone in the catalytic is made of, please refer to this post: http://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2011/10/live-in-air-you-love.html
    Those Lampe Berger lamps and their precursors are made in France. I've never heard of anything in English. They are sold world wide and also imitated of course in China... Be careful when buying one!
    The ones I sell at my Zen Cart powered on line boutique are all vintage and antique from France. Several with their original stone. But all those catalytics can be replaced with a modern one. Don't know how those stones are made but they surely can endure the burn of a flame...
    Enjoy the video in my post.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.