Sunday, October 27, 2013

I Almost FORGOT!

But then I remembered.......

I said I would post photos of the whistles as I finished them; the rest are in the kiln waiting to be fired.  

As I mentioned in my previous post They can assume many forms.  The mouse and the penguin are easy to see how I make them.  The pig gets turned on its side and trimmed and paddles into a rounded end.  There's a tail back there too.  I make the snout by carefully pushing the tip onto a flat surface.  The mouse and penguin have their whistles at the base; pig has its at the snout and becomes part of the mouth.


Because they are whistles I use commercial glazes on them and once fire them.  I don't once fire functional stuff a.) I think the clay is stronger if it goes through separate bisque and glaze firings, b.) I generally use my own glazes.  This is from my observation.  Some of the clay gurus out there may be able to tell me the more scientific reasons.  It might all be a figment of my imagination.

These are obviously still in progress.  If I keep my wits about me I may even post more photos before and after firing.


Aloysious has managed to pull one of his charge out the door acts.  That cat is fast!  It's a beautiful sunny day out so he's out having fun and we're searching!

This is late for Mud Colony, but I am going to email Adriana and see if she can put it up for me. At any rate go take a look at all the cool stuff that goes on in the world of clay.

Enjoy the day, and, as always, thanks for stopping by............*s*

15 comments:

  1. Dearest Suzi,
    This trio is adorable; you ARE quite an artist and a great writer. Love your humor and I wish you luck with finding Aloysious.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette...Thanks. Toes crossed that Aloysius will come home!

      Delete
  2. Oh how adorable, love these! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corrine....Thanks. My friend's grandson called them animals for holding. They're just the right size for little hands!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing how many pieces you can make from one form, a good lesson in there for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....They're small enough so you could make them as pinch pots.

      Delete
  5. Love the porker, what a character!
    So what happens when you once fire? Do you have many losses? I'm thinking of investigating that idea as I get the guilts about my power consumption ...
    (Did your cat come home?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Georgia.....Home safe and sound. There's more about once firing on my next post.

      Delete
  6. These make me smile! They came out ever so lovely! I am especially in love with the pig... Christa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the ears on piggy in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might need a cute whistle!!!! Love the mouse.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.