Monday, July 21, 2014

Majolica Monday

Where are they hiding? I found another fish whistle!  This one is in a white ^04 clay.  I'll be once firing it, using Spectrum Majolica White #799.  This is a glaze that works very well on raw clay.  

When I am brushing glazes I always put some in a separate container and add food coloring or anything that will burn out.  It is much easier to tell where I have brushed glaze if it is contrasting with the previous coat.  On bisqued clay I use three layers on green ware I use four.



The lower photo shows the whistle itself.  As I've said before, I like the whistle to be a part of the fish or other animal.  Next I am going to do ocarinas and flutes.


I find From Mud To Music  by Barry Hall an invaluable resource.  Has anyone tried water whistles?

My camera is doing some very strange things.  I think it's something to do with the shutter.  I have a feeling it's going to be an expensive fix.

Finally after days of dull, gray clouds the sun has come out.  It still feels cool for July!

Enjoy the day and, as always, thanks for stopping by...............*s*

15 comments:

  1. darn, my comment was lost, what is a water whistle? been raining here off and on for three days. I took a whistle workshop once but I don't think I have the patience to make them. interesting how you use the food coloring, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda....A water whistle is designed to hold water and trill when blown. I had plastic ones when I was small! Whistles are fairly easy once you get the hang of the process. If I've been away for a bit I generally have to make several duds before I get the knack back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzi, your Majolica is always so beautiful. I just tried putting a slip onto some stoneware, it's white, called White Fish Sauce. Hopefully I can then paint my regular cone 6 glazes on it after it's bisqued. But you low fire yours, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barb.....Thanks. Love the name White Fish Sauce. I hope you'll post photos of your progress. Do you worry about your glazes moving in the firing? Low fire glazes are so stabile that they never move. Ever onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someday I am going to make a whistle, you inspire me! I remember winning water whistles at carnivals when I was a kid. I love that sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele.....Thanks; they aren't hard once you get the hang of making them. Water whistles are a fond childhood memory; very few people seem to remember them.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Gary....My reply disappeared Into......where?
      Thanks, nice compliment from the cutemaster himself!

      Delete
  7. Dearest Suzi,
    A lovely fish whistle again and you are very clever the way you use some food coloring.
    The weather here is by far not as burning hot as other summers. We have clouds often and late afternoon showers... But very high humidity!
    Sending you hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette....Whistles are something small and nice to make during the winter, when I work upstairs.
      For the first day in what feel like ages I saw the sun come up into blue skies!
      Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  8. Your fish whistles are fantastic, a great combination of beauty and whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lori.....Thanks. I'm waiting until I fire them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cheri....Yep, all my whistles are some sort of critter. After all, why so simple when you can be complicated?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Suzi,

    Love the fish whistle - this is fun and with the pretty colours.
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend and glad that you have the sun shinning there.
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn....Thanks; I've found all sorts of unfinished work since I started reorganizing my studio!
      Enjoy your day!

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.