Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Spring and Pollen and Pots!

I've started glazing the bottom of Tyrian Turtle.  He will have three coats of Spectrum #799 Majolica White.  When I am working on a piece I find it easiest to complete one area before doing the other.  The glaze looks gray because I like to add some black ink to the second coat.  This simple trick makes it really easy to see where I have missed glazing.  Once I am finished I will paint a layer of wax over it to keep it fresh and unsmeared.

I do have a plan for the whole turtle, so it's not a case of doing one surface and then doing something  completely different on the upper shell.  When I am painting I like to work over the entire surface at once.  It keeps the design consistent.

Upside down the cracks become evident. I think I was putting it together with everything being at different stages in drying.  Consistency is crucial when handbuilding large work.  

We had our first Luna Moth of the year show up on a pollen filled screen last night.  Summer is definitely on its way!

The pollen has been thick and yellow this year.  The winter went on for so long that everything is blooming at once.  At least we did not have a freeze after the blueberries flowered.  We may end up with a good crop!

 More plants are starting to bloom.  We took the net off the pond at just the right time.  Unfortunately the pond pump needs some work so we just have the little one going.
Below is the beginning of the yellow flag season.  We cut them back severely last year which seems to be keeping them in check, although nothing will keep them completely in check.

 I've also planted a canna lily by the pond.  It will have to be taken up in the fall....if I remember!

Since Aloysius did his last running away and exploration stunt we have been taking him for walks in the garden every day. Here he is among the alpine strawberries and bloomed out violets.

 He's been wearing Winter's harness at its smallest settings.  Since he loves the walks so much we are going to get him one of his own.

Now to get a new pool liner and get it up and running so he can do some swimming and we will be well on our way to SUMMER!

As always, thanks for stopping by...............*s*

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Happy Turtle Day

This little guy crawled out from under a shelf today just in time for Turtle Day.  He's not really that little.  His shell is about twelve inches from head to tail.

I originally made him to go in a show I was doing, but the bottom shell separated from the top in the firing.  At the time I was totally disgusted and put him on the floor under a shelf.  Looking at him, I've decided it doesn't matter now as he is going out in the garden with the other turtles and tortoises. 

Meanwhile, spring has been arriving all at once.  The oaks and maples in their varieties are in bloom....all at once!  We haven't taken the net off the pond due to two hawks that come and perch in the trees and name the fish 'dinner'!  It's now covered with maple flower strings and stuff!  Now that the trees are leafed out we can take the net off.

Enjoy Memorial Day and remember!

As always, thanks for stopping by..........*s*

Monday, May 4, 2015

Glaze Daze

I've been spending a lot of time catching up on glazing.  I'm trying to dig out all the bisqued stuff I have and get it fired.  Some stuff I'm not happy with I'll save for tests.  They are going into a special bin so I can find them when I need them.

I'm doing a slow but steady studio reorganization and clean up; after all it's spring!

The teapot should be posted tomorrow for Teapot Tuesday but I could easily forget so here it is.  The bottom is glazed with a Spectrum Metallic.  I waxed it so I would not have to worry about getting other glazes and colorants on it.  The rest of the pot is glazed with Spectrum #251 Satin White.  There are three brushed coats.  The colors are Mason Stains.  The green is mixed 50/50 with frit 3124.  The red is a Mason encapsulated cadmium mixed with frit 3124 and gerstley borate 50:25:25.  I find that the gertsley borate adds a better density to the cadmiums.  I did thin this quite a bit with water to get more of a water color effect. 

It's going to be interesting to see how this comes through the firing.

As I mentioned on my Facebook page Woodrow has returned.  He's living under the shed again.  I took this on Saturday when he was out relaxing in the sun.  If we can get him to stay by the shed, we'll let him stay.  I am hoping he is Woodrow and not Woodrina.  What we don't need is a ton of babies.  That's when the have-a-heart traps will come out with relocation to a spot in the bordering state forest.

It may not be warm enough to grow much outside, but that doesn't mean plants don't stop trying.  This is a strawberry plant that I had in a hanging planter last year.  I wintered it over and it started fruiting a few weeks ago.  This is the first ripe berry.  I have no idea what it will taste like, but I like it for its prettiness and tenacity!

Finally it's acting more like spring.  It's supposed to be in the high seventies all week.  A nice change from weather that has felt more like March than May!

Here's to sunny days!

As always, thanks for stopping by.............*s*