Monday, June 12, 2017

Sun! At Last!

Spring, or perhaps I should say early summer, has arrived.  At last we are having warm, sunny days.

Yellow flags, white flags, and poppies are in full bloom.  At last we are having a good year of poppies.  I covered them during the last week of rain because they are so fragile that one good shower reduces to soggy masses of tissue paper.

Due to the continued rain, chill, and most particularly the various caterpillars the gardens, pond and pool are in a sorry state.  Now to play catch up!





We had many praying mantis egg sacs last fall.  Two days ago we found babies had hatched from one of them.  I managed to get a shot of this little guy before it took off.  This is a much enlarged photo.  It was about one quarter the size shown and almost transparent.



As always, thanks for stopping by........*s*







10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous flower and most interesting mantis. I've only seen two adults and never a "baby" in my entire life. They're either very rare in southern Minnesota or I'm quite oblivious...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Troutbirder....Thanks. Minnesota may be too cold for Praying Mantis. I would have to Google their range.
    Nice to see a new 'face' here. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers...I am always amazed at the fragile beauty of poppies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb....I like poppies in all their forms. I would love to grow th Blue Himalayans.

      Delete
  4. Oh I have always wanted to grow poppies and never have except Iceland poppies, one of these days; are those flag iris ? we have had a long Spring here and so glad it hasn't been that hot yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Yes they are flag iris. The yellows can be highly invasive so we have to keep them under control. I'm looking for a hardy blue.

      Delete
  5. How cool that you were able to photograph the baby mantis!!!

    ReplyDelete

  6. Well, that looks very good and it holds quite a volume of liquid. That is a huge coffee mug. My question would be, does it hold the heat well or do drinks cool down rather rapidly?


    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi phann son......If you mean the mug in Tryout Post, it's actually quite small. It holds 8oz with room for milk or cream. It does look rather monumental in the photo, :-D

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.