Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Groundhog was Right!


Much as it kills me to admit it winter is not over.  It's snowing!  We have had such beautiful weather since the blizzard with sunny days and temps in the forties and even fifties that we were lulled into a false sense of spring.  It will come in its own good time, she said hopefully. 




My studio is too cold to work in for any prolonged period of time, so I have set up a small space in an upstairs alcove.  I'm doing mostly glazing and decoration, but I may hand build a few small things.



I am doing the dragon by a slightly different method.  Normally I would plan this out quite carefully, with notes about detail, color etc.  This time I am laying down some colors and designs and letting them dictate my next move.  We'll see, grasshopper.......we'll see.

The little pot hanger is one I found when I was sorting through an old box.  I think he is a demo piece from the class I used to do when I was working with developmentally delayed adults.  He had lost his eyes so I stuck some on made of paperclay spooze.  These little pieces are throwaways and great for experiments.  He is a light green, which does not photograph very well.


Time to go feed the birds and stoke the stove.

Stay warm and dry, or sunny and cool....where ever you are.

I"m going to try to post this on Mud Colony if there is still time.  Even if I don't get this up, go take a look.  There's always something interesting there.

Enjoy Sunday and as always thanks for stopping by..............*s*

P.S.  WHEW!  I made it!

11 comments:

  1. I was hoping to be done with winter too... we had 60 degrees Friday, snow off and on all day Saturday. Today is sunny but cold, in the mid 30's for a high.

    Glad you have an alternative work space for colder weather. I am sure it helps the winter days pass a little more quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see how your dragon is doing. I'm going to start glazing my dragon mask this afternoon. It's been fun thinking about what I want to do, but I'm still not sure....but definitely yellow eyes! Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dragon is looking good and what is cuter than a cat trying to climb up and munch on some greenery. Ha. Freezing last night but sunny today, tonight is supposed to be the worst yet, then back up to warm again by the end of the week, see saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice little dragon, and yes winter is not over yet. It has in any case become brighter.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feeding wild birds become a serious job during winter, especially in snow! Which finches are on the table?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Suzi,
    Yeah, not only your dragons need a glaze but it would protect us also from winter's cold and wind.
    We had some frost the past night and mean wind. But let's hang in there; we will reach spring time sooner or later.
    Hugs to you and stay warm.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Michele....lots of wind; chill is about zero. A warm place to work definitely makes it easier....almost frozen stains are not good!

    Hi Barbara....I was dithering, that's why I started with a few strokes and let them dictate more of the design.

    Hi Linda....Thanks, and the cats do try to climb. I hope it warms up for you soon.

    Hi Elna....Thanks, eventually winter will end.

    Hi Midori....Yes, the birds do depend on us over the winter. Those are juncos, which are also know around here as snowbirds because the usually show up just before the snow flies.

    Hi Mariette....I didn't think of it, but you are absolutely right. A nice warm dragon to follow one around in the cold would be like having a portable heater along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi glad you made it onto Mud Colony :^)
    That snowy image is nice to look at from our warm summer night but I wouldn't want to swap you :^)
    Stay warm..

    ReplyDelete
  9. gah, I heard you would get more snow! just wicked cold here....it is so hard working when it is cold...but the work is always so fun, therefore, you DO :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anna....I agree; pretty to look at but....

    Hi Gary....Our wind chill is about zero right now. I'm fine as long as I don't have to be out in it. Winterpup is not a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes we just need to let the dragon's talk to us. I'm looking forward to seeing how he comes out.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.