Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Ideas

I'm often asked where my ideas for painting my pots come from.  Dreams, stories, nature and, what may be my favorite, nursery and nonsense rhymes, and then there is always the tried and true method:  Leave a bowl of milk on the doorstep.  In the morning the milk will be gone and the house gnomes will have left many ideas in return!

The cookie jar is Humpty Dumpty.  I thought having the king spying out what is happening was a good idea.  The rhyme was originally political; I can't remember which King was satirized.  Possibly King George when the USA declared independence ("Nothing of importance occurred today.")

I wanted the king's horses to be miniature horses, cute but ineffective as mounts, even for Hobbits!  I think of the King's Men as repairmen, so they are equipped with manuals, "Glue", "Puzzle Repair", "Crack Filler", "How to Fix Eggs."

The silly side of life is important!




The clock is from the classic poem by Eugene Field, published in March 1889)  Wynken, Blynken, and Nod.  Click the link to read the entire poem.  I've loved it since I was a very little girl.


Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe.
Sailed on a river of crystal light
Into a sea of dew.

*********************************************************************************

And in an added thought.  To say that I am appalled and saddened by the murders at Charlie Hebo does not begin to express what I feel.

And I hate the way I feel, which is the urge to do violence in return.   But I deeply and firmly believe that violence and killing is wrong.  It has nothing to do with any religion or deity.  A civilized society does not kill its citizens.

I used to get so annoyed with an old cancellation stamp "Pray For Peace".  NO!  We should be working  harder for peace than we do  at waging war!

*********************************************************************************

Cold today and colder tonight.  We are expecting temps of 0 and below, with wind chill!  Toes are crossed that this will be the only cold spell of the winter.  I don't look forward to months of below freezing temps, which often happens here.

Stay warm, and as always, thanks for stopping by..........*s*

13 comments:

  1. I love that you incorporate nursery rhymes into your pots!
    Cold here in the south too. We are supposed get down to 11 degrees tonight. I better get prepared for frozen pipes :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele...Evidently my comment got eaten or something!
      My studio is so cold today I can't work in it, so I'm doing some drawings and reading.
      I hope you have managed to get the pipes thawed.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Suzi,
    That cookie jar is very funny and you worked in those characters well.
    Sad facts for 2015 indeed...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette...Thanks, I have a good time with my painting!
      This is not a good way to start 2015!

      Delete
  3. we are going down to 6 with wind chill possibly minus 16; I love all the detail in your work and look and look again so as not to miss some of those details

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...I think it's cold everywhere this morning!! The details are what I enjoy doing.....little surprises!

      Delete
  4. Working for peace is a great idea.
    I love the nursery rhymes on pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori...Thanks, rhymes are a great source!
      Peace is harder than war, no doubt about it!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful wonderful pottery here :) I hated how W. always used to say we pray for this, we pray for that...what a cop out! DO SOMETHING instead of sitting there acting sanctimonious and whispering to a God that gave you the ability to ACT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary...Thanks; your words mean a lot to me.
      The world would be a much better place if we could convince others to put even half the energy we put into violence into peace!

      Delete
  6. Great art on your cookie jar. So is the charming Winken plate. I agree that we as a society, and perhaps each of us are not really acting as if a peaceful life were our goals. And you are so right, an act is what is needed. It's so hard to know what one could help, so I often feel powerless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb....Thanks. The plate is actually a clock I gave to my niece at her baby shower. I hadn't finished the number when I took the photo!

      Delete
    2. P.S. That sense of helplessness is part of what the warmongers are counting on. Shades of my old days of protest!

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.