Monday, June 19, 2017

Try Out

This is one of the first tripod mugs I made last year.  I decided this morning that before I make a bunch of them I really should see if they stand as sturdily with beverage in them as they do when empty.


So far so good.    It seems to be very stabile.  Holds eight ounces with room for milk or cream.  I haven't tried it in the microwave yet.  I personally never put mugs in the zapper but I know people do so I like to know what will happen.

I'm okay with the design.  The base is glazed in a low fire Spectrum metallic; I have no idea wich one!  I meant to glaze the interior with clear, but used the clear with a little Mason Red-Brown that I use on terra cotta.  Live and learn!

We have had another period of heavy showers.  I am hopeful that it will clear enough for me to finally plant my dahlias.  Last year the caterpillars devastated them, so I decided to hold off until they were pupating.  With our wet, chilly spring they have not done well at all.  HURRAH!



as always, thanks for stopping by.....*s*

13 comments:

  1. It’s a very pretty mug.

    Testing out our pots before we sell them is always a good idea. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori....Thanks. I once made a mug so oddly balanced that it tipped over when full! Go figure!

      Delete
    2. I did the same thing once, lol. I’m glad I’m in good company.

      Delete
  2. I like the contrast between the base color and the design

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda.....Thanks. I'm still working on the glaze to get consistent results.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty imagery. It's always good to give things a test run. I rarely microwave mugs either, but you are right that many people do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele....Thanks. I wouldn't put a Matisse in the microwave, so why would I put a mug there? Yes, I can get pretty snarky about this subject! :-D

      Delete
  4. Dearest Suzi,
    Well, that looks very good and it holds quite a volume of liquid. That is a huge coffee mug. My question would be, does it hold the heat well or do drinks cool down rather rapidly?
    Had to laugh about your usage of the word 'zapper' - new to me!
    Sending you hugs and yes, we too have had heavy rain but at least yesterday and today we could ride our bikes again.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mariette......It's not really that big, holds about one cup with room for milk or cream.. I find the best time to test mugs for heat retention is the middle of winter.
    This is the first year in what feels like ages that we have had enough rain so we don't have to worry about wells going dry. The rain is also very bad for the gypsy moth population. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Suzi,

    The mug is fabulous and like that it is so unique.
    Also enjoyed seeing your pretty Spring flowers growing.
    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn....Thanks for stopping by. I am adding plants to my garden every day.

      Delete
  7. Thanks. Minnesota may be too cold for Praying Mantis. I would have to Google their range.

    ผลบอลพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi phantom son......I think it depends on how well Praying Mantis egg cases survive the cold.

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.