Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Where Does It Go From Here?

This is an experiment.  I have glazed smaller purchased flower pots with some success, but this one is a larger size, about thirteen inches across at the top.  I bought several of them on sale at Job Lot.  I inspected the rims very carefully and even sprayed them when I got them home to make sure there were no hairline cracks.  Even the tiniest crack will wreak complete havoc on a pot in its glaze firing. I sanded the pot with a 80 grit paper and sprayed it with vinegar and water.  I let it dry in the sun for a day before glazing.



This is glazed with Spectrum #799, Majolica White.  Through my experiments on small, purchased pots I have found that my studio glazes are a crap shoot.  I had one where the glaze slid completely off the pot to form a very nice ring at its foot.  Needless to say I always fire on a pad or piece of kiln shelf.

Now the question is how to paint it.  I want something fairly simple as it will have plants, probably petunias and friends, in it.   I will stare at it and do some sketches.

I am making these for my own use with no intention of ever selling them.  That would be too close to paint your own pottery for comfort.

We'll see, Grasshopper......we'll see............

As always, thanks for stopping by......*s*

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Suzi,
    No doubt you will get some inspiration for painting it, as you got so many times before.
    Sending you hugs for a good summer!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette.....I’m still noting ideas, but will get there eventually.
      Toes crossed that you are having a great summer.

      Delete
  2. you buy the flower pots and then glaze and fire them, interesting. of course you fire lower right? I am thinking of making my jeep ornaments full fire and then having an acrylic class where folks paint the, we shall if I do or not

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Yes, all my final firings oare ^05-^03.
      I like the idea of painting fired ornaments. Sounds like you could try it out at a farmers’ market?

      Delete
  3. Suzi...since you've already got a good handle on low fire glazes, I'm sure you'll come up with something festive and decorative, and just, well, you! Looking forward to seeing your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb....Thanks! I think I may go a little simpler than I usually do.

      Delete
  4. I have never thought of doing that... I look forward to seeing your bespoke creation

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.