Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Bread

I have been baking bread foremost sixty years, but I have never been happy with my decorative scoring.  I made this loaf trying to follow several ideas I have gathered.

Let it knead long enough to 'window pane'. 

Paid attention to how I formed the loaf, being sure to make it tight and smooth and gave it a long warm rise.   

Dusted flour over the surface before I scored it and used a sharp ceramic knife for the cuts as I don't have a lame. 

Started it at 425ºF with hot water in the bottom of the oven. Turned it down to 375ºF after about twenty minutes.  Baked for another thirty minutes or so. I took it out of the pan and turned it over to get the bottom nice and brown for the last five or six minutes.  This made the flour get a bit darker than I liked.  Next loaf I'll either make a cap or just turn it in the pan.  I baked this one in a cast iron frying pan.

 


I bake all our bread. About a year ago I bought a Bosch heavy duty mixer.  I have the small size which is perfect for our little family.  It's been my wrist saver!

 Proge says he has a personal baker.

We have had flu shots and Covid boosters; have you?

As always, stay safe, and thanks for stopping by.................*s*

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Suzi,
    You sure are a master at baking your own bread!
    Wish I would find the time for doing so.
    It is so hard for getting it all done alone and also since my energy level is so limited.
    Yesterday was not a happy day.
    Did not get positive results from my nephrologist... but I'm still alive and let's be grateful for that.
    Merry Christmas to you both.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.