Monday, August 29, 2016

Spoons

I had originally planned to post these yesterday, but just couldn't stay indoors.  It was too nice out.

I've been making spoons using plastic soup spoons from Chinese take-out as my molds.  (Those were the days when spoons came with the soup!) 

These are made with my white earthenware, glazed mostly with Spectrum #799 majolica white, although I did do some with Linda Arbuckle's majolica white.  It's more a matter of convenience than anything as Linda's is a dipping glaze.  As usual they are painted with my own mixed Mason Stains and fired to ^05.



The are mostly decorative.  I could see using them for a very elegant bouillon. The one below would make a good tasting spoon.

After a summer of nary a praying mantis in sight we now have three perhaps four in the garden.  Proge spotted one last evening, then this morning we found three more.  The one below had just molted.  I wanted to get the empty skin but it blew away in a little breeze.

In addition to the dahlias and passion flower they appear to be liking the sassafras weeds that are always in abundance.  I guess I will wait to clip them.


Yesterday afternoon while I was sitting on the deck two female hummingbirds came to the petunias which are favorites of theirs.  Perhaps they will lay more eggs although it's getting a bit late in the year.

It's hard to believe we are at the end of August.  I feel like summer just began, but then, I always feel that way.  We need rain; how about you?

Enjoy these days of summer and as always, thanks for stopping by.............*s*

16 comments:

  1. lovely decoration on those spoons. It must be lovely having humming birds visit your garden. Our local parrots are getting together and making lots of noise as spring tries to come in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna.....Thanks. The hummingbirds have been a real treat. I always forget that there are parrots in Australia. Are they year round dwellers?

      Delete
  2. I have been eyeing the spoons at the Korean market, thinking about using them as molds. You've inspired me to pick up a few next trip.
    We need rain here too. Our grass is starting to look a little brown in patches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michele.....I'm looking forward to what you do with spoons, and I need to look up Korean spoons.

      Delete
  3. I love that shape for spoons, you’re are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori....Thanks. They're fun to make and paint.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful.... my mom used to have the prettiest spoon rest by her stove, these would be pretty for that too. Yes, rain, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy....Thanks. You have given me an idea for a handbuilt spoon rest!

      Delete
  5. I'll have to look closer in the garden to see if I can see some mantis, my lantana attracts the hummingbirds and soon the coleus and then the pineapple sage. I have never seen a disposable spoon for soup at a Chinese restaurant. your spoons are lovely especially the lady with the long hair. I might have asked you before, do you glaze the whole spoon or use stilts? We are way down on rain here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Mantises are really good at camouflage. We have to look hard to see them. I'm planning hummingbird flowers for next summer; I just added lantana.
      I glaze the entire spoon and use stilts, but I'm looking for other methods of firing.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Suzi,
    You are lucky for having the hummingbirds in your garden!
    What a joy.
    Those spoons are fun and no doubt you will find many uses for them.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette....We have always had a few hummers but never whole families like this summer. They are quite bold and come to feed on the deck when we are just a few feet away.

      Delete
  7. Dear Suzi,

    Love the spoons and you are so creative.
    Always lovely to see pray mantis in the garden and how lucky seeing the hummingbirds.
    Have a good weekend
    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn....Thanks. Do you have praying mantises in your garden?

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.