Saturday, March 9, 2013

ARRRRRGH!!!


I want to go where
manatees go, away from
winter ice and snow.




We just had three days of terrible typical southern New England weather.  There was very little snow, but what there was blew in heavy winds and compacted it into instant ice, which was treacherous on decks. Yes, the wind started blowing on Wednesday; there was some form of precipitation the whole time, sort of like being hit with little knives.  At least we didn't get the quantities of snow they got further north.

Today the sun is out in a clear blue sky and the world looks oh so innocent.  Perhaps things will begin to warm up a bit and we will see some real spring.  Last year by this time the daffodils were blooming happily away.  Hopefully we will see some blooms in a few weeks.  I am more than ready for spring!

GRASS IS BACK!



Robin Hopper has posted that he will start posting to his bog again, given that there is enough interest.  Hit the link and leave a short message of support. He is no longer giving workshops, but his knowledge and experience of pottery and gardens....among other things in a life well lived....is amazing in its breadth.  

It's a personal regret that I was never able to take one of the workshops, but there are books and the man.    Coincidentally I was looking for some alternative to the outline brushwork I do.  Low and behold I found a recipe for ceramic ink!  This may be just what I need as it's supposed to work in a variety of pens.  I'll write more as I mess around with it. 

On a much sadder note Dennis Allen as posted on his blog that Joe Frank McKee's studio burned to the ground a few nights ago.  The family and house are fine, but the studio is a complete loss.  If you hit the link Dennis has links to Facebook regarding the event and an auction site. ( I don't seem to be able to get the links to work for me.)  

Donations can also be sent directly

Joe Frank McKee
Tree House Pottery
148 Front St.
PO Box 253
Dillsboro,  N.C.  28725

Remember that every little bit helps.

The sun is out; it's getting warmer.  I'm going to spend the afternoon outside and trying to figure out why my camera flash is acting up.  And, possibly, moving my studio back downstairs.  We'll see, Grasshopper..........we'll see.

This posting will also be on Mud Colony.  Check it out; there's always something interesting to be found there.

Have a great and sunny week end, and as always, thanks for stopping by...........*s*

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Suzy,
    Hope the weather will change for you! We had some mean wind earlier in the week, with frost at night but not too bad. Have not seen snow this winter.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would share your pain but it was 70 here today.
    Sorry, but it was.
    Having been through a fire and back again I know how long it will take for these folks to feel like normal again.
    It is really hard.
    Meanwhile stay warm and open minded, spring will come, one day, promise, pinky swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzy,

    Hope that you will have some Spring weather there soon.
    Sad to hear of a fire, always such a horrid thing and hope they get back on their feet soon.

    Happy weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are having a warm sunny weekend, but there is a trade off, in August when you are not so very hot, we are baking in the heat and humidity! So sad about Joe's place....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mariette....Should we have any more snow I'll send it your way; although I think you had enough problems with rain and flooding.

    Hi Meredith....It's getting better here. It's sunny for the second day in a row and warming up a bit. I'm starting to move stuff back down to the studio. Yes!

    Hi Carolyn.....You must be starting into Fall weather. Thanks for stopping by.

    Hi Tracey....It's sunny here too. I'm hoping the worst of winter is gone and we can get on with the stuff of living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never fear, spring will always arrive, just rarely soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. every time I hear potter and house fire I have an anxiety attack INDEED

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori...Spring is coming. It's cool at night but going into the 50's during the day. I'm so glad I don't live further north. My brother in Laconia, N.H. still have at least a foot of snow on the ground.

    Hi Gary......You and me both. Which is why I don't leave the house while I'm firing and have extinguishers all over the place!

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.