Saturday, March 15, 2014

Planter

Two views of a planter I did last summer or so.  It's about 16 inches high and 6 & 1/2 inches across.  It's a ^04 white earth that I once fired.  I wanted to keep the decoration simple.  If things get too complicated it overwhelms the plants and flowers it's supposed to enhance.  I used yellow because it's a fairly neutral color for flowers.  This yellow is way too strong;  I wanted something much lighter.  The rims look pasted on (well, they are added, I just don't want them to look that way!) Some of the green vine on the yellow may have solved the problem.

I finally got around to firing this around Christmas.  The height always made it awkward to fit into my kiln.  I want to do more of these.  Next time I'll do enough to fill a kiln shelf.  That should give me about a half dozen to fool around with.




In a few more weeks I should be able to get some pansies to put in it.  I'm never really happy with planters until they are planted.

It's been in the high fifties and sunny today.  I even went so far as to clean the leaves out of the daffodils.  This may have been a mistake as the temps are supposed to drop tonight and possible snow on Monday.  At least we've had a great day today.

This will be on Sunday Ceramics #10 and on Mud Colony on Facebook.

Enjoy the coming week and, as always, thanks for stopping by.........*s*

10 comments:

  1. one day it will be warm enough for flowers and stuff, too...really! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that design is called a strawberry pot? I think purple or lavendar pansies would compliment the yellow accents. Can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy....Yes, the official name is strawberry pot, although I see them with many different plants in them. They make wonderful patio herb gardens.

      Delete
  3. your planter makes me think of Picasso, can't wait to see it planted, it could be used for herbs on a counter top too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda....Wow, thanks. These pots are versatile to say the least.

      Delete
  4. Nice planter, bold colors which I really like on this! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Suzi,
    With pansies in it that will look fabulous. Even the nicest Baccarat vases look better with lovely roses inside... or peonies! Don't fret about that edge, it will be lovely and nobody needs to drink from that rim!
    Hugs to you and hoping that the cold will not hurt you much from now on. We had our last frost on Thursday and now 3 days of rain. Wednesday the tile man will come to finally lay our tiles. We look forward for putting the planters on them and finally enjoy spring weather.
    Hugs to you,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette.....Thanks. You're right about the edges! I don't feel a planter or vase is complete until it is doing it's job.

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.