Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday Comes And.....

So do mugs.

I've been experimenting a bit.  These are handbuilt in white earth.  The interiors are glazed with Spectrum #700 clear.  The exteriors have a bit of Mason Red-Brown added to the clear.  The designs are done with Mason Stains in paste (1:1 Frit 3124 @ Gerstley Borate).  I'll brush a coat of clear over the exteriors when they are good and dry!


These are the last of the bunch.  I forgot to take any photographs of the others.  Documenting work goes out the window when I get into a deep work mode.  These stayed on the shelf overnight so I took a few shots.

We actually started the wood stove last night.  This may be the earliest we have lit it in several years.  We still haven't had any frost!  It's warming up a bit .  Seventies are predicted for tomorrow.

Enjoy the week and the changing season.

As always thanks for stopping by..........*s*

11 comments:

  1. Hello - I think these mugs are wonderful! They show so much of your fantasy! I do not know which one I like better - I love the fishes but also those trees! It is still very warm over here - still walking around in T-shirts and wearing the shoes without socks and it is supposed to stay like that for the next couple of weeks. Actually a bit cooler would be nice - it would enhance the season. Well, we will see! Have a good day! Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christa...Thanks; I started with the trees (so glad you see them as such), then decided to try fish. We are beginning to get color here. The maples have gone red, the beech and oaks are just beginning to change. I could live with this weather instead of winter. I'm so glad to see you back blogging again!

      Delete
  2. we're expecting a big storm tomorrow with the north cold hitting the southern warm air, ugh, hope it passes us by. interesting you call the mason stain mix a paste. I mix mine with slip but sometimes add frit. I really need to do some detailed testing now that I have my kiln up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda...From the weather map it looks like you are going to get socked. We could use a lot of rain up here, so perhaps it will pass you by and dump some water on us.
      I call that particular mix I use 'paste' because I go the recipe from Walter Ostrum years ago. He called it 'Posey's Paste' because he said he got it from Posey Bacoupolis. However years later Woody Hughes said it was his. ;) I use it when I want dense color. It's more like a gouache at the thickness I use it although it can be thinned. The neat thing is that it works equally well under or over glaze. I bet you are enjoying your new studio and kiln!

      Delete
  3. Dearest Suzi,
    Lovely square mugs and I like the white insides.
    Oh, when I called Mom & Dad in The Netherlands yesterday they too told me that they had the wood stove on!
    Here it was very warm but now we get cooler nights again with rain coming.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette....Thanks. I like to experiment with different colors on mugs interiors. Crazy New England weather! It's supposed to be in the seventies today!

      Delete
  4. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that forgets to take photographs while making a piece. Those look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori.....Thanks. At least with digital I may forget to take them, but hen I remember ther're here. With my old SLR when I did remember to take photos I would forget for ages to have them developed!

      Delete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.