Monday, September 28, 2020

Trials and All

 My this is fun!  I am learning to use the *new* *improved* Blogger!  I find it difficult to think about new  methods while I am trying to type comprehendable sentences.

ANYWAY:

I have been thinking a lot about glazing and why so many potters appear to loathe the process.  I have feeling part of it is due to the thrill of hands in clay and making something vs. the mechanics needed to learn glazing. I am not talking chemistry here, but the methods of applying and combining glazes.  

Below are two tea canisters glazed in Spectrun #799 Majolica White. The designs are Mason Stains. The luna moths are my own mix.  The interesting thing is that this green on Linda Arbuckle’s majolica white is exactly the color of a luna moth. The difference is most likely in the glaze recipes.

Speaking of luna moths I have only seen a few at the beginning of the summer. Our lack of rain and hot weather may have something to do with that.


The fish canister was more successful.  I like the way the blues and the movement of the fish works with the shape of the pot. Not so thrilled with the other side.           Yellow fish needs more movement.




As I said I have thinking about glazes a lot, but I will go ahead and try to post this is the “new & improved” Blogger will let me.  Yes, there is a tiny bit of snark there.

Toes crossed that all are staying well, both mentally and physically.

As always, thanks for stopping by...........*s*

4 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I think when you are painting designs on your pots it becomes part of the creative process and is more enjoyable. All my creativity happens during throwing and carving designs... glazing is drudgery for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle...I think what we find enjoyable is what we are most apt to use in our work. I always say if you don’t enjoy the process, find another way or don’t do it.

      Delete
  2. I like the yellow fish.
    The new blogger seems to be agreeing with me! Once I'd worked out the different symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Suzi,
    Love the Luna moth tea canister!
    Yes, they forced us to use the new Blogger, I was still uploading the 1st photos for my scheduled posts in the old version but one day, I could no longer go back to that.
    On the sideline, all the pictures that got uploaded in the old one, are showing but those that did use the new blogger, do NOT show up. For the time being, mine will but up till a time... Wonder if they ever will correct that?!
    Glad you're doing well. I've had a nasty week behind with lots of tests and an ultrasound as they found something in my left breast. They monitor it with another ultrasound over six months. So the biggest scare is gone. We both got our flu shots early, two weeks ago and last week, Pieter got his 2nd part of shingle shot and I got my 1st and in 3 to 4 months the 2nd part. Also had my colonoscopy on Friday late afternoon... My previous one was in 2009. This time, the prep liquid (they let me skip the magnesium milk and the pills, due to my kidney condition) made me vomit so violently. I was feeling like a rag... We had to wait till they would call and then drive up the one hour to the clinic. Still, one and a half hour later, after lots of paperwork and a COVID-19 test (I was negative) by 7:00 PM I finally got my turn! Pieter drove me home in the dark at 7:30 PM... So glad that was over with and all was well!
    Now I'm waiting for my cataract surgery, had it postponed from March till I would have our book publishing all behind me. Turns out that they had so many COVID-19 cancellations that they're now backed up and my appointment is on October 21 and surgery 2 months from there. IF another cancellation comes up, they will wedge me in. HATE having to wait that long as I need it done so badly. What can we do? This entire year is so absolutely crazy...
    Biking also has been tricky as we got so much rain this summer! Now I'm finally free from that mega task of self publishing our scientific handbook, and then things work against us.
    But life goes on and time is passing rather fast! Can't believe we're now at the end of October.
    I've been hunting now for 6 months for the Lysol Kitchen Pro Orange scent for cleaning up the walls and everything where the cat intruder came to spray. Sadly, the owner has shot it; Pieter heard three shots a couple of days after we'd mentioned that he's coming inside the house, at night and during the day. Even into our bedroom. He never got neutered and he upset all our six kittens... Hate his fate, some people have no feelings! That cat never got some love; so sad. But I have still a mega task of wall washing etc. to do. Postponed that too and could not even do it for lack of the proper cleaning material. Still can't understand why certain things are SOLD out constantly. What are people doing?!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.