Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Cranberries.......anyone????

 Bought two bags of cranberries at the market Monday; then found more in the freezer.  Which asks the question, what do I do with three pounds plus of cranberries?  Was not up for plain cranberry sauce, so I Googled a look around for Cranberry Chutney.   Oh my!  Ask and ye shall receive.  Finally decided to look closely at David Lebovitz's recipe, which of course I altered.


I took all the cranberries fresh and frozen, probably about forty ounces, and threw them in a large soup pot.  Added about a cup or so of date paste, juice and zest of a large orange, a grated Granny Smith apple, chopped up dried pineapple, cherries and a fig. I added about a cup of apple cider vinegar, and monk fruit sugar.  Let it cook until the berries began popping them added cinnamon, five spice, ginger, two tablespoons of my home made vanilla, a pinch of salt, and a pinch or two f chili peppers.  I let it simmer until it was nice and thick.  I also added a bit more vinegar.  Filled jars to go in the freezer and kept some for use.

It's quite tasty, but I think it would be better with f some lemon or lime juice, raisins, pinch or two of clove, and perhaps some green tomatoes  Now I wish we hadn't eaten them all.

We'll see grasshopper.........we'll see.........


The birdie is a male house finch of a pair visiting the feeders this morning.  Not a great photo as I took it with my iPad through my glass slider.  It's so nice to see at least this one.  We used to have them in the dozens.  Not sure what happened to them and the gold finches, but nice to know there are a few about. 

I wish every one a very Happy Thanksgiving. Celebrate in good health!

As always, stay safe, and thanks for stopping by................*s*

3 comments:

  1. I have made chutney with cranberries and apples, and also marmalade with oranges and cranberries...lush!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Suzi,
    Guess you did fairly well in making you a cranberry chutney and it will be eaten.
    Hoping that the house finches and gold finches do return to your home!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and Proge.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a simple cranberry and ginger chutney. I also had half a bag of cranberries to my apple pie recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.