Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Volunteer!

Yes!  I am growing vegetables this summer! 
 Well, this one tomato which was a volunteer I found in an outdoor planter.  Last week I transplanted it to a larger pot.  And look!  It has flowers!  I am most hopeful that I will actually have a few tomatoes.... eventually.  I will bring it into the sunroom if it looks worthwhile.
Many years ago I had a volunteer in my garden with fruit just a bit larger than cherry tomatoes.  I saved the seed for years....until I did. not.  Toes crossed that this little guy puts out something worth saving.


 Meanwhile I am enjoying messing around with the green plants, making new cuttings, encouraging bamboo., and all that jazz!
And the not so enjoyable process of getting the pool back to normal.  It went completely bloooey while I was down with Lyme and turned a lovely shade of green  which is great for plants, not so great for swimming pools.  The way things have been going I should get it clean and balanced in time to shut it down for the winter.
We are having cool nights.  It's been in the very low 60ºs when I go out to feed the birds at dawn. It warms up during the day so I spend as much time as I can on the deck, (I bought a nice, big umbrella to replace the one that was shot) or out by fish pond or pool.  Even though the pool is not swimmable it's still enjoyable to sit by the water.
The hummingbirds just came to the petunias.  I don't put out feeders due to squirrels and other fauna messing with them.  The love the flowers petunias, fuchsias, wild impatience to name a few.  Wish I could get a good photo but so far they are just too fast.
So odd to think that we are in the latter half of August.  I still have my toes crossed for a long, warm autumn.
We'll see, grasshopper............we'll see.

P.S.  Special birthday shoutout to my FB friend Barb Rogers.  Happy Birthday!  Keep on truckin'

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Suzi,
    Hoping you did shed all the Lyme disease symptoms!
    Pieter and I are 'okay' as far as that is valid. Since my accident on February 21 Pieter has become the caretaker and even more so when 2 months later they found out I also had a tear in my aorta from that car hitting me on my left side while I was biking... Two more surgeries and I'm forever fighting for weight gain, not yet 100 lbs! But with night sweats and almost constant excruciating pain—that drains you!
    But I'm alive and prayers have helped.
    We're grateful for being together and also for the cleaning lady that I'd just trained 3 weeks prior. She knows what I want and manages every week. Also help in making the twin beds we sleep in since they're low and less of a danger for falling out. That help also irons the bed linens that we strip off in the morning, then Pieter turns on the Miele washer and into the Miele dryer before she arrives. A God sent!
    The yard is being taken care of by a Mexican crew for 3 years now—another blessing!
    We get gourmet meals delivered (gift of LOVE) from Ristorante da Maria—what a blessing for not having to cook for 2 days.
    Life goes on... and summer is stubborn as we have very hot weather still. But indeed, September is around the corner... time flies.
    Big hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.