I was reading Steph Blackwell's Comfort Chronicles (It's on Substack) where she is offering anew brownie recipe, which reminded me of the time my younger brother was doing some sort of cooking thing for scouts.
This was back in the dark ages of childhood so my memory may be a bit faulty, but he decided on brownies as the dessert he would make. My mother had an incredible brownie recipe so she oversaw the project. Brownies went in the oven, mother had to go do errands but told him the amount of time they needed to bake plus or minus a few minutes until 'firm' on top. I guess my brother and mother had different definitions of 'firm' as he baked them for almost an hour until I happening into the kitchen told him I was pretty sure he should take them out. They were not burnt but cooled to a rock-like consistency. Needless to say none of us were interested in eating them. But my father who believed that any cookie was improved for the better by being dunked in his coffee, dunked the brownie rocks until they softened a bit and declared the combo of coffee and brownie a hit. I think my mother made some sort of sauce for them. Not being coffee drinker I did not eat them, but others seemed to like them.
I always love it when others' stories remind me of amusing, happy times. My brother did not live down his baking abilities for many years.
As always, thanks for stopping by...........*s*
No comments:
Post a Comment
I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.