Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Bread

I have become very lazy about my bread baking lately. I have grown too dependent on my Cuban Bread Recipe.  It’s quick and tasty, but gets a little boring after a while.

Yesterday while going through one of my pottery books I found my old recipe for Oatmeal Bread.  I don’t know how it got into a book on teapots, probably as a book mark.

This is a tasty, only slightly sweet loaf.  I made some of it into hamburger buns, which were very tasty. I haven’t toasted it yet, but I think it will work well.

I baked it in a large, free form loaf, which it isn’t really designed for.  It spread a bit more than I wanted, so I future I will probably bake it in loaf pans.

Meanwhile we are getting ready for the coming winter. Wood has been delivered. I am beginning to bring plants in. Somewhere I mentioned that I am rearranging the sunroom. I spend a lot of time in there in cold weather.
As always, thanks for stopping by...........*s*
 

7 comments:

  1. Have you tried baking that recipe in a cast iron dutch oven? I went through the sourdough phase like everyone else when covid started, but I am really over the feeding of the starter and the overnight rise. It was amazing bread but would rather have something more simple! I did like the cast iron baking though, gave me a very crisp crust and a light interior....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey...I do sour dough when the mood strikes me. I’ve found that it’s really easy to restore what looks like dead starter.
      Cast iron was my thought too. I have a small Dutch oven that I use only for bread baking.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Suzi,
    Glad you re-discovered your Oatmeal Bread recipe!
    Looks very nice though.
    I've not baked bread for quite a while and would love to do so this winter.
    We order some German bread that gets shipped to us, fresh from the German bakery in Marietta, via FedEx and we both love that. Keeps will in the freezer.
    We enjoyed our outing to the western part of North Carolina, discovering it by Rail. Pieter was so happy on the train and said I'd organized it well. We rode first class with lunch being served and lots of other edibles and refreshments.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariette...Isn’t wonderful how we can access things that even twenty years ago were nearly impossible?
      Love the idea of a first class train trip. Many, many years ago friends spent their honeymoon traveling across Canada by rail. Because it was a honeymoon they went first class all the way. They also got some special treatment from the train company and staff.

      Delete
    2. We did that a couple of years ago dearest Suzi and it was the best vacation ever!

      Delete
  3. I never seem to get around to making any gluten free bread; I keep telling myself one of these days, good on you for your efforts. I still keep drooling in my mind about a recipe I made years ago of a non gluten free Swedish Rye Bread, probably the best bread I have ever eaten, fennel seed, molasses, orange rind, and more, knead, knead, knead, eaten each time before the two round loaves could cool completely, loaves with deep cross cuts on top, set on a corn meal baking sheet, so much goodness, hopefully one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda...I got into gluten free when I was still working. I had a client that among other health problems had to be completely gluten free. Bob’s Red Mill and King Arthur were lifesavers.

    ReplyDelete

I don’t allow anonymous postings, but otherwise talk to me. I love to hear from you.